Send all complete orders to: Production Manager
Supervises: 1-2 employees
- Roughing Planer
- Finish Planer
- Gang Rip
- Straight line
Phillips Forest Products is a Texas historic business in operation for over sixty years. We’re known for the some of the highest quality architectural millwork in the United States. We’re growing and we’re looking for no nonsense, non-ego centric, team players to grow with us. This position is a long-term position with potential to develop into a higher supervisory role within a decade.
We are looking for a hard-working individual with a good attention to detail and a strong desire to be in the wood working industry. Previous experience working with wood products as a molder operator is preferred. Qualified candidates must have the ability to read prints, work unsupervised and complete work in a timely fashion.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Operates machines correctly and without flaw.
- Receives and sets up orders to be planed and ripped.
- Responsible for notifying the production manager when an order is complete and ready to be sent to the next stage of production.
- Reads work ticket and configures planers to plane to stated thickness and ripped to width
- Keeps knives on planers sharp and without grooves.
- Keeps blades on rip saws sharp
- Verifies all material being planed and ripped is correct in dimensions with caliper and tape measurer.
- Makes sure all machines are clean and in good working order.
- Inspects stock being cut to determine defects the grader may have missed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Continued:
- Maintains all machines in working order
- Keeps all areas under supervision clean and neat
- Must be able to count board foot, linear footage, and do simple math.
- be able to work 40 hours a week minimum, plus overtime when mandated.
- Assign helper duties to aid in the streamlined production of planing and ripping
- Make sure assigned helpers stay busy at all time. If they are not stacking wood, they need to be cleaning.
- If helper is not busy catching wood from molder, they must be cleaning, or performing some other function.
- Makes sure helper takes only allotted amount of break time.
- Be responsible for checking on wood for planer order and reporting any lags in production to the production manager.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing or activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Preferred Education and Skills (in addition to the required):
- High school diploma or GED
- Experience working in the architectural millwork industry
- Experience working with a molder.
Required Education and Skills:
- Strong desire to develop a career in the Architectural Millwork industry
- Ability to follow instructions and take initiative when necessary
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
Phillips Forest Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Veterans, Females, Minorities, and Disabled applicants are encouraged to apply.