Lumber Grader/ Kiln Operator
Location: De Kalb, TX
SUBORDINATEs: All those who work on the trading floor.
Job Description of Lumber Grader:
Reporting to the Production Supervisor, and taking direction from the Lead Hand/Supervisor, the Grader role is responsible for inspecting lumber according to prescribed standards. Using knowledge of the company’s products, the Grader inspects materials for defects which may include knots, stains, decay, splits, defective milling, etc. using visual and mechanical inspection methods.
The grader must also learn to operate the kiln. This is to assist the kiln operator when necessary and to continue the kiln’s operation in his/her absence.
Duties and Responsibilities of Lumber Grader:
- Knows the OSHA requirements for the designated work area and makes sure requirements are met
- Ensures awareness of all known hazards
- Ensures appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is used properly, is inspected regularly and is maintained by all those who work under the lumber grader. This includes but is not limited to:
- Safety Glasses
- Safety Vests
- Steel Toe Boots
- Grades and tallies lumber and perform moisture tests to get grade board footage
- Maintains grader equipment
- Monitors levels of production and reports them to the yard manager
- Reads and understands production lists
- Operates equipment by demonstrating “One Right Way” safety procedures
- Uses calipers to effectively grade lumber
- Works closely with quality control and operations on lumber quality
- Keeps lumber area and lumberyard in a well-organized manner; includes lifting, carrying, and stacking different types and sizes of material
Qualification & Requirements of Lumber Grader:
- All hiring decisions are contingent on the selectee passing background check and drug screenings.
- Grading experience preferred, but learning on the spot is an option.
- Completion of in-house grading training
- Understands all grades of lumber and defects
- Understands grade rule material
- Demonstrates good computer and mechanical troubleshooting skills
- Understands SPIB & NHLA grading rules or equivalent
- Safety Sensitive position requiring ability to lift up to 50lbs, walking, stairs, pushing, pulling, repetitive motion, kneeling, squatting and balancing, exposure to loud noises and dust
- MUST MAINTAIN GOOD WORKING RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER EMPLOYEES
- MUST MAINTAIN OPEN CONVERSATION WITH THE YARD MANAGER AND YARD LIEUTENANT
Benefits and Compensation of Lumber Grader:
Employer offers a comprehensive total rewards package, which includes competitive compensation with a pay-for-performance philosophy, benefits, and other programs designed to support their associates and meet their needs.
If you invest your time and talents in the company, The Historic Phillips Forest Products will invest in you.